Initiated by Ilima-Lei Macfarlane, Bellator MMA World Flyweight Champion Fighter, “The Ilimanator” Scholarship provides Native American and Native Hawaiian adolescent female youth (ages 12-19) with an opportunity to access world-class indigenous education enrichment programs. 2019 Inaugural Scholarship Recipient will be chosen by Ilima-Lei “The Ilimanator” Lei-Macfarlane and InterTribal Youth Ilimanator Scholarship Selection Committee.
- Female Youth ages 12-18; International Program applicants ages 16-20
- Do not have support from Reservations, Rancherias or Agencies
- May or may not be from a state or gov’t recognized nation/tribe adopted and/or separated from their culture
- Native Hawaiians, Tribal Descendants, or lineage or who are not on “roles” and do not receive recognition due to blood-quantum for whatever reason
- Youth who live in urban areas, dis-connected cultural ways and/or funding support resources. This may include, but not limited to Urban Youth, Native Hawaiians, Xicano/a, South American Indigenous or Caribbean Youth.
- Inaugural 2018 Scholarship Youth were chosen from the following Geographical Areas (subject to additions): Kingdom of Hawaii, California, Nevada and Panama.
In addition, scholarship candidates must submit the following:
- InterTribal Youth / Native Like Water Registration form, AND
- One letter of recommendation from teacher, parent, leader or relative, AND
- Writing Sample or Oral Story Video Sample. Sample will not be judged for grammar or punctuation use, but praised for content and originality, AND
- 200 Word Essay on topic of your choice, OR
- One Page, Original Poem or Lyrics to a Song, OR
- A 1-2 Minute Video Selfie, demonstrating who you are, your interests, challenges
To receive a scholarship application, submit an inquiry here: nativelikewater.org/contact-us. For more information on the Ilima-Lei “The Ilimanator” Macfarlane Scholarship, please visit: nativelikewater.org/ilimanator-scholarship